Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Getting geared up...

I always get excited around this time of year, because I am knee deep in plans for the next year. I usually spend a little bit of time in the spring planning broadly what I want to do the following year, while things are fresh in my mind... I usually make adjustments to the next year, remembering what my children enjoyed, where they need to be challenged, where I need to be challenged, etc.

Then, around this time of year, I am making lists of books I need, scouring yard sales, thrift stores, and homeschool used curriculum sales. I also start dividing the books I plan to use by how many weeks of school I am doing the next year. Last night I had an illustrated History of the World open on the floor, looking for any interesting subjects for a biography or in depth study during our time period for next year. I think we are going to learn about David Livingstone and his travels in Africa.

Recently, I heard a comment second-hand from an educator about the dangers of focusing too much on a "western white mans history", and his comment was meant as an encouragement to not narrow our history too much, and that our children need to be aware of a broader world than the western one we know so well. It challenged me to see how each year, we could study someone whose life would give us a glimpse of life elsewhere. Last year, we studied Marco Polo which proved to be a great feast (and one we could have kept going into for years).

Also, I am having fun planning for a co-op that we began last year. I have a great group of kids signed up for next year, and I am thrilled about being able to teach Zoology 1 (a book focusing on the flying creatures- birds, bugs, bats, etc). I am breaking up the reading for the year by week, planning nature walks, activities, etc. It is such a joy to learn alongside my children. I really have a blast!

If you are interested in help from me for the upcoming school year, please let me know soon, so I can get as much done for you as possible before the school year starts. I am really looking forward to beginning my new adventure with you.
:) parke

2 comments:

  1. do you make house calls???? I could use you and your whole family for, say, um, forever!!!

    ReplyDelete